The Internet and other websites are filled with misinformation regarding this subject, some of which puts many people into panic mode. It’s true – you will need to do some cleaning, but the most important thing to remember is that lice live on your head, not in your home!
Keep in mind lice are parasites that need blood to survive. They can’t survive for more than 24 hours without food. Lice eggs can’t hatch off of your head, and they can’t reattach. For this reason, sterilizing your entire home is unnecessary.
- Lice cannot jump or fly – they are crawling, wingless insects.
- Lice are not a symptom of being dirty – they actually prefer clean hair.
- Symptoms include itchy scalp, red bite marks or red rash on nape of the neck.
- Lice cannot travel to other parts of the body.
- Over-the-counter lice shampoos do not kill nits or young lice bugs.
- Head lice cannot live on your pet.